Shore, George (b.1890) & Edith (b.1891)
George and Edith Shore were born in Devon in the 1890s.  They moved from Devon to Butleigh with their employer in 1928, the couple had a cottage in the village.  It took George two days to travel from Devon with the horses and wagon; he always preferred horses to tractors.  Edith made bread every week in a brick oven; along with pies, pastries, and faggots.  Washing was done on a Monday morning and Edith made butter on the farm.
A cottage kitchen range c.1900, where bread would have been baked at least weekly. A cottage kitchen range c.1900, where bread would have been baked at least weekly.
Sound File
Listen to George and Edith Shore - 1.46MB Duration 3:10 min.

KW: And when did you finish work at the end of the day, what time?


GS: Well seven to five was their hours then we used to work, except in harvest time, used to go on until eight o’clock, yes.


KW: That was when you were still quite young?


GS: Yeah, yeah yeah.


KW: Were you living at home or with the family then?


GS: I was down at the farm for nine year before I got married, yeah.


KW: And when you were living at the farm, how much pay did you get?


GS: Well when you’d started you start with about a shilling a week.


KW: That was when you were twelve?


GS: Yeah, twelve and gradually as you got older they give you a little more, well that when come to finish, just before I left I had about five and six pence, that was as much as a man would get because five and six pence and your food, then that was reckon for your lodging wasn’t it seven shillings.  The wages outside for a man outside wasn’t but twelve or thirteen for years no.


KW: And after, as you got older you were able to do more heavy work on the farm?


GS: Well, we do more of the men’s work as you after you got older you know, yes.


KW: How about making the bread, how often did you make bread?


ES: Oh, only about once a week.


GS: About once a week.


KW: And can you describe how you did that?


ES: I don’t think I can, add flour and yeast and salt made it and I know we used to have to, bring it to paste like and then leave it a while.


GS: Then it would heat up perhaps come up.


ES: [] high.


GS: Come up with heat in it.


ES: And then we used to have tins ready, very big tins we used to make about seven pound loaves then and grease them and cut [] do it well enough for a week.  Then get the oven hot.


KW: Now this was a brick oven?


GS: Yeah, yeah.


ES: Yeah


KW: To get it hot what did you do?


GS: Oh, had a faggot, a faggot of wood for heating with.


KW: You put that into the oven?


GS: Yeah yeah you got him such a heat.


ES: Keep put the wood in.


GS: Got the heat.


ES: No, how long to get the oven hot you see and then we had to clean it all up.


GS: Clean the ashes out of the bottom.


KW: What did you use to clean the ashes out?


ES: Oh, like a big script thing with a long handle.


KW: What did you call that?


ES: Oh, I don’t...


GS: Oh, got open fire if they got red coals on the hearth in the kitchen fire.


KW: And when did you know the oven was the right temperature?


GS: A well, put your hand in there, couldn’t keep him there very long, you’d know it was hot enough laughs.


ES: You would know near by the time you see.


GS: See what he look like, he would burn, burn, sometimes he would go black for you’d get off that got to have him clear, you know, the bricks looking more on the white side, yeah.

Copyright Information
Copyright. This recording was made by Kate Walters in 1973. Photograph ©SRLM. For access to full interview please contact the Somerset Heritage Centre.